And it is ours!
We gained custody of our building last Thursday
and finally got to do something with it this weekend.
Bruce headed over Sunday morning with a
friend and started deconstruction.
By the time I had arrived (after my morning work at the pumpkin patch),
half of the dining room had been finished.
I am certain that the tongue and groove had been there for
many, many years because it is extremely thick and heavy,
and although we are very adamant about
preservation, we needed/wanted to peel back the layers to
1. strip the place of it's disastrous, unsafe electrical (wow).
2. assess any damage so it can be repaired properly.
3. expose the brick for our rustic style.
After removing some of the wall between the dining room and kitchen,
it was discovered that there may have been a fire in there at one time.
Although not charred through, there is definitely some remnants
of seared wood. Bruce also found some areas where the wiring
was exposed and had been arcing on wood. There is/was A LOT
of exposed, open ended wire in that place!
As the guys worked on that, I ran back to the house
(a minute and a half drive)
to pick up the weed whacker and other garden tools.
One of our pet peeves is the amount of grass that
grows in the sidewalk cracks and gutters.
Bruce bladed the sidewalk and I went around
the building picking up trash and weeding it.
Yeah, it's not there anymore.
Power washing comes next. :)
Cleaning things up makes such a difference.
I suppose that is why I don't mind doing it.
It's a new day and new things to work on.
I'm headed to my work but my mind will be there,
at that gem that is getting some new life.
I'll continue to update because this little
bakery is just as much yours, as it is ours.